What your parents should actually tell you before you get married

If you are a PDSM (you know, Post-divorce single mother), just like me and 13 million other living and breathing humans in India alone, then just like me, you too have gone into stages of a maddening afterthought, sleepless nights, wrecked nights, and hangovers in the lull that you find in your life in the […]

What they don’t tell you about Single Parenting

Since I wasn’t done with the things no one tells you about Single Parenting, I’ve compiled another list of a few more tacit things that are the best kept secrets of Single Parenting Dating becomes a real chore and sometimes a bore Dating for a Single Parent is such a volatile topic, that there is […]

Matters of a Mutual Fund

So, here you are with your cup of coffee skimming through articles on The Village Banter. You may even have a potli bag next to you in which you have saved every single penny that will grow along with your little ones? Well, well, instead of keeping the money that close to you, let me […]

Valentine’s day Affirmations for Single Parents

Dear Single Parents, Print this out and carry it in your wallet if you have to, but don’t you ever forget that you are worthy of wanting love and being loved by anyone, and not just your kids. And if no one else has told you yet, and for whatever it’s worth, I love you!

The learned shame of being Single

Why is prioritising ourselves, recognising our needs and fulfilling them on our own, always associated with such immense sense of guilt, shame and fear? Whether it is winning something in school, becoming a career-driven person, earning a good livelihood for the family, or enjoying sexual pleasures, all seem to be worthy and right when it […]

Beti Ko Padhao, Beti Ko Bachao !!

Every year, the 24th of January is observed as Bet Din (or daughter’s day).If someone ever asks me about the definition of Acche Din, I would define it in this manner: “The day when our beti’s (daughters) actually march ahead and our betas support it with all their will, thrill and feel really chill. Wow! […]

Super Parent of the Month – January

Introducing our Super Single Parent of the Month, Sumayya Thayath AKA Soopermommie! Do join me as I welcome her here as she shares a story of massive level-up in the aftermath of the dissolution of her marriage. Sumayya, along with her daughter, is the co-founder of WISH foundation which is an NGO initiative for women’s […]

Bring on the 2021 Shine!

Twenty-twenty is finally done and dusted. What an arduous year!Was there anything beneficial that we can draw from it?Well, yes, Of course!Our children got a front-row seat to witness us on the battlefield. They got to witness us at our most vulnerable moments.Not to forget that they too were quietly fighting their own little wars […]

How to combat the ‘what will people say’ fallacy

I know how hard it is for us to accept that the people who are supposed to keep us safe and protected, like our dear and beloved family and chaddi buddies for example, are the ones who will actually stand in line to sell us to the devil for their own validation and status in […]

Getting into the thick of Pubic hair

So what’s the deal with body hair?  Is it a “yay” or “Nay”? Let’s begin with a story.  I was once travelling for 6 weeks to the rural and countryside of New South Wales.  I got all waxed and ready for a smoother-than-a-babies-head holiday. (Pun intended!)   4 weeks went past, and the hair under […]