Bring on the 2021 Shine!

Twenty-twenty is finally done and dusted. What an arduous year!
Was there anything beneficial that we can draw from it?
Well, yes, Of course!
Our children got a front-row seat to witness us on the battlefield. They got to witness us at our most vulnerable moments.
Not to forget that they too were quietly fighting their own little wars which included adjusting to staying at home, being confined to 4 walls, online learning, little to no access to friends and activities for the longest period ever in their lives!
Pretty daunting, I’d say.
Single parenting is hard, we already know this. However, that coupled with the trappings of 2020 oddly enough makes for a canvas of possibilities to work off. How so, you ask?
Well, it all began with a simple conversation I had with my eleven-year-old son. We talked about what the new year, 2021 might have on offer. We debated the relevance of new year resolutions. We peeled through the life experiences of the year gone by. Then we came to the decision to not go the new year resolutions way; instead to carry forward a state of mind that kept us chugging along despite the uncertain year we had just been through.
We chose to carry forward hope this brand new year. Hope that always gives one perspective, hope that makes us rise above the petty, hope that enables us to keep the fight alive, and hope that will encourage another to climb over their deepest, darkest trials.

As we are now well into 2021, I urge you to lean into this new beginning. Bring with you the best from your past.

As we are now well into 2021, I urge you to lean into this new beginning. Bring with you the best from your past.
Build on all those nuggets of the good stuff you find hidden beneath the harsh year that was 2020.
Carry forward with you a nugget or two of all that glitters from the year gone by, and quietly build on that as the new year unfolds.
Bring on the shine!
After all, our most treasured little humans have just us to lead the way. As the clichéd old saying goes, our children don’t do as we say. They do as we do.
Gimme a cheer!
Happy 2021!

author

Leave a Reply